What We Do
United Way of Coastal Fairfield County works to achieve community-wide change that improves the EDUCATION, INCOME and HEALTH of Coastal Fairfield County residents. Our efforts are multi-faceted and incorporate innovation, advocacy and collaboration. Our breadth of experience makes us best suited to address the broad spectrum of community needs.
From Means to Ends ... From Talk to Action.
Community Engagement. Collaboration. They may seem like buzz words, but they are at the core of any effort to build a thriving community. No other organization has the scope and expertise to bring together our community’s businesses, organizations, volunteers, government, faith community, private foundations and a network of health and human service agencies around shared goals. By focusing the best people, latest research and innovative practices around achieving measurable results, we are engaging the community to maximize the impact of everyone’s work.
To these ends we:
- Convene and work side by side with individuals, nonprofits, government, businesses and other community-based partners.
- Create, fund and take to scale initiatives that improve the quality of life for children and families.
- Provide a wide range of support, including the development of data resources, to strengthen the capacity of our nonprofit partners.
- Work with policy makers and advocates on important issues around education, income and health.
Why We Do It
What are the quality of life conditions we want for our at-risk children? What would these conditions look like if we could see them?
We would see:
- all children ready for school with the language, physical, mental, behavioral, emotional and developmental health they need.
- all children have a quality preschool experience, positive enrichment opportunities with out of school time, and the mentoring and other resources they need to graduate on time, prepared for life.
- families engaged in their children’s development, reinforcing literacy skills and learning in the home.
- families that have adequate housing and the ability to build income and assets so that their financial future is secure.
- children and families with access to health care, eating nutritious food, and being active physically.
Together, with the entire community engaged, we can see the happiness of every child with a strong, vibrant community contributing to their success.