United Way 2-1-1 is your one-stop connection to the local services you need from utility assistance, food, housing, child care, after school programs, elder care, crisis intervention and much more. 2-1-1 is always ready to assist you in finding the help you need. 2-1-1 is available 24 hours a day every day of the year and multilingual assistance and TDD access are available.
2-1-1 began as Infoline in 1976 as a public/private partnership of United Way and the State of Connecticut. By the mid-eighties, Infoline gained national recognition as a model system. In 1999, 2-1-1 replaced Infoline’s 800 number and became the first state to use 2-1-1 statewide. 2-1-1 is fully certified in crisis intervention by the American Association of Suicidology.
Some of the typical calls received by 2-1-1:
- A single mother who is worried about the gas shutoff notice she just received.
- A mother looking for child care and after school activities.
- A caller who is depressed, considering suicide and wants help.
- A young woman with a disability inquires about available transportation.
- A caller seeking information about eligibility for Food Stamps.
- A caller looking for volunteer opportunities.
- Dial 2-1-1 or search online.
- CLICK HERE to learn about Connecticut 2-1-1 Child Care
- CLICK HERE to find Child Development resources
- CLICK HERE to learn how 2-1-1 Collects Data
- CLICK HERE for general information about 2-1-1
Take a look at this short video to see how 2-1-1 makes a difference: